Howdy! I'm researching....

If you wish, you can introduce yourself here; or welcome new members with a quick note.
KenCarsonBiographer

Howdy! I'm researching....

Postby KenCarsonBiographer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 am

As is everybody else posting on this section...yep, you guessed it. I'm NEW. :D I'm a researcher, and much of my research is tied in with OTR because my subject was involved in that particular field for much of his life. In English? I'm researching Ken Carson (1914-1994) who was a singer from the 30's to the 70's (well, really until his death, but the last record I know of him making was in '72). He was a member of the Ranch Boys ( a singing cowboy trio) in the 30's--- they broadcasted over NBC for five years in Chicago, on the Fitch Bandwagon and Don McNiel's Breakfast Club, and for the National Barn Dance as well. Other call numbers were WENR and WMAQ --there might have been more.
In 1943 he became a member of the Sons of the Pioneers (also a singing cowboy group), who were backing up Roy Rogers in his Republic films. That group did scores of radio broadcasts and transcriptions, and in 1945 he had his own show (I think it was on Sunday) called the "Ken Carson Show".
In 1949 he became a member of Tom Brenneman's Breakfast Club, remaining with it as it morphed into the Garry Moore radio show. I think that that show was on Mutual, but I'm not sure. In 52 Ken had his own radio show "the Ken Carson Show" (Mutual Network) sponsored by Camel Cigarettes. I've got some of the scripts to that show, they're pretty neat.

All that to say, I'm trying to track down any and all recordings of Ken. Sons of the Pioneers material is fairly easy to come by, but the others aren't. If anybody can help me know where to look to find any of them, I'd be delighted! There's quite an impressive listing up for Ken on the RadioGoldIndex site, but I've only found a couple shows that are listed there. :(

Thanks, and nice to meet you all!

Return to “Welcomes & Introductions”