The Light of the World

Hosted by Jim Cox, author of The Great Radio Soap Operas (31 Classic Daytime Dramas, 1930-1960)

Moderator: Jim Cox

Lou
Site Admin

The Light of the World

Postby Lou » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:33 pm

On the Air: March 18, 1940-March 21, 1941, NBC, 2:45 p.m. ET; March 24, 1941-1943, NBC, 2 p.m.; 1943-June 2, 1944, NBC, 2:30 p.m.; June 12, 1944-March 1946, CBS, 10:15 a.m.; Dec. 2, 1946-June 2, 1950, NBC, 2:45 p.m.

The Speaker: David Gothard, Bret Morrison, Arnold Moss

Announcers: Ted Campbell, James Fleming, Stuart Metz

Theme Song: Original music

Premise: Few would have guessed that a soap opera based on the Good Book would ever have been created and that if it had, it would have gotten on the air. Fewer still would have believed that such a serial could have lasted for more than a few weeks. But public response can be a surprising barometer. When The Light of the World gained a berth at NBC, large numbers of listeners liked what they heard and kept it on the air for a decade. Its action was based on the narratives of the Old Testament, most of them recounted in multipart dramatizations. Casts were constantly changing, requiring a rather large repertory company to remain "on call" for short-term acting assignments. Many of the "regulars" who appeared in World maintained running parts in other serials. This was one of a few closed-end radio dramas, with each story arriving at a natural terminating point. One of the byproducts of the ultimate conclusion was that the audience could drift in and out of the plots as listening habits allowed; the brevity of such story lines didn't mandate the total attentiveness that was required for some open-ended dramas broadcast over long periods of time. The fact that this biblical series was sponsored throughout its run (and by a single advertiser, no less!) said a great deal about its quality and its commitment to faithfully interpret the scriptural context. Because a large portion of the audience was familiar with the plots, many of them readily followed the story lines, resulting in listener identification at an optimum level.

nana

Re: The Light of the World

Postby nana » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 am

I am doing research on family history and have discovered that my mothers cousin was actress of Light of the World.her name was Eleanor Slickerman,does anyone have any info on this?thanks.....jean

Mr. E

Re: The Light of the World

Postby Mr. E » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm

:) When I was a little girl I always listened to this program in the summer and if I was home from school sick. My father and grandmother never missed a broadcast. It helped so much to put the Bible in chronological order. I have often wondered if there is any way I could purchase it. Even a few tapes would be great!

Return to “Great Radio Soap Operas BBS”