Mysterious Wu Fang

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

thegoldenage

Mysterious Wu Fang

Postby thegoldenage » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:34 am

While searching the Internet, I came across a Pulp Book character called "The Mysterious Wu Fang" and was wondering if this character ever made it to radio.

Frank

Lou
Site Admin

Re: Mysterious Wu Fang

Postby Lou » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Frank -

I could find no reference to that title in my copy of Jay Hickerson's The Ultimate History of Network Radio Programming.

Perhaps other members might remember a local show by that name, or perhaps a character with a similar name.

Jack French

Wu Fang

Postby Jack French » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:10 pm

After Sax Rohmer's "Fu Man Chu" became successful in the pulps (and subsequent novels) other authors came up with evil Asians, based on Fu Man Chu. Wu Fang was only one, another was Woon Yuen (created by Robert Howard, who would later create "Conan the Barbarian".)

Wu and Woon never made it to radio, but Fu Man Chu did.....and he came to the airwaves even before Charlie Chan.

Jack French
Editor: RADIO RECALL
www.mwotrc.com

Scotty

Postby Scotty » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:01 am

Did the Mr. Moto radio series only appear in the 1950's?

Lou
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:51 am

According to my ancient edition of Jay Hickerson's The Ultimate History of Network Radio Programming and Guide to All Circulating Shows, Mr I.A. Moto was on the air for only about five months -- 5/20/51 through 10/20/50, on NBC. The timeslot changed ... started on Sundays, at 9:30PM, then was heard a half hour later, and ended up on Saturdays, at 10:30PM

About 17 shows remain available to collectors.

Return to “Main OTR BBS”