Where do you purchase your radio shows?

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

justking81

Where do you purchase your radio shows?

Postby justking81 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:55 pm

I've got a decent size collection thanks to Cracker Barrel and various book stores' audio sections. But all the Cracker Barrels I've seen lately have phased out OTR for cheapy TV shows on DVD, and most bookstores seem to have dropped OTR sets as well (or if they do have them, they're pretty expensive).

So does anyone have any suggestions for where I can continue to grow my collection from? I know at this point, going online is about my only option, but where? I know about Radio Spirits and they have some really cool stuff on their sites, but then there's a bunch of mp3 OTR sites I've found as well. I'm hesitant to buy anymore from mp3s sites because I did purchase one for about $10 and it had probably close to 100 Adv. of Superman shows and upon trying to play it on my computer (my only way of playing mp3s), I realized that about 20 episodes will not play.

Any well done professional sites & companies that offer great prices on CDs/mp3s?

Thanks!

Lou
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:17 pm

So does anyone have any suggestions for where I can continue to grow my collection from?

err ... yea ... try here:

http://www.old-time.com/toc.html#sponsors

justking81

Postby justking81 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Yeah thanks... I was asking for personal preferences and advice from others though, and not just what the webmaster deems worthy. I can easily find many "sponsors", but I'm not going to just order from anyone.

Lou
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:29 pm

The sponsors at this site are not "just anyone". They have been providing excellent service for years. These folks did the hard work of collecting low-generation, excellent-sounding material -- some for several decades. Much of the material you see from other online "dealers" has been ripped from these guys' tapes, audio CDs and archival MP3s.

old-time.com is listed as the #1 OTR site in all the search engines that count. The site has maintained that envied position for several years. Any mention of an OTR dealer here thus receives wide dissemination. I have tried to be careful to not allow "free advertising" by short-lived, unproven, marginal or otherwise risky vendors who wish to take advantage of the popularity of this site.

If you want a broader recommendation of OTR / MP3 dealers, you might use Google and eBay as your preferred sources.

justking81

Postby justking81 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info, kiddo!

Remley

Postby Remley » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:11 pm

I've been using RUSC for years, and just discovered they're a sponsor after reading this thread. They have a great database of shows, and the price is quite reasonable.

I also use http://www.radioclassics.com/ (the online arm of Radio Spirits), and while the shows are higher quality sound, they are tricky to play as they are write-protected WMA (Windows Media) files, not MP3s. You have to jump thru more hoops to enjoy their shows, but the quality is really good. I end up converting them to MP3s so I can play them on all of my players/computers.

On the low end, I sometimes download from http://www.radiolovers.com/ which uses MP3s and they are free. They have a limited selection, and many of them are misdated or not dated at all, but one good thing about the site is that they have some very early Amos n' Andy (and even Sam & Henry!) recordings that I've not seen elsewhere.

philcolynn

Re: Where do you purchase your radio shows?

Postby philcolynn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi- I buy my OTR from both the internet and ebay. There are great sellers on both. I also trade with my other otr friends.
If you would like to talk more off BBS contact me at philcolynn@yahoo.com Lynn

Monsterwax

Postby Monsterwax » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:06 am

If you want great sounding CDs or cassette tapes, you can use Radio Showcase. They've been around since the 1980s and always deliver the goods.

http://www.radio-showcase.com/

No MP3s that I know of, but a good search feature on the site for finding whatever titles you are looking for.

latriv

Postby latriv » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 pm

I don't buy OTR very often, but I have used otrcat.com. They are reasonably priced and quick to deliver. A lot of my collection came from OTRR certified sets at archive.org. Good quality and free.
My honor the Mayor,
latriv

Return to “Main OTR BBS”