Anybody Remember This One?

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

dwstuck

Anybody Remember This One?

Postby dwstuck » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi folks --

When I used to check out OTR from the library as a kid, the cassette
tapes (professionally done, can't remember the company) often had a
very short show tacked onto the end to fill out the tape.

The show had a single POV narrator telling the story -- about a bank
robber, murderer or the like -- who would get caught in some kind of
twist ending. The show was less than 5 minutes long... the tag was
something like "You've been listening to 'Nightmare' - a short tale of
horror, mystery or suspense... etc... as short and terrifying as... A
Nightmare" (followed by a frantic organ outro).

Does this ring any bells with anyone? For some reason I got the
impression that it was newer than the 40's/50's.

This has been driving me crazy trying to find out!

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Remley

Postby Remley » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Could "Nightmare" have been an episode of the "Five Minute Mystery" program?

dwstuck

Postby dwstuck » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:45 pm

No -- the actual title of the show was "Nightmare"... I have a few episodes... the announcer tag at the end said "This has been a John Norman production....

thanks,
Dave

Remley

Postby Remley » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:33 pm

OK. Well I looked in my copy of the Handbook of Old-Time Radio and it lists "Nightmare" as a 1953-54 series on Mutual, saying that Peter Lorre narrated and performed in the "terrifying tales". Although it's listed here as a 30 min. drama, not a 5 min. program. It says there are reportedly 12 known episodes in circulation. That's all it says about the show.

Hope that's of some help...

dwstuck

Postby dwstuck » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Hi Remley --

You know, during my searches for info on this, I did run across the Lorre 'Nightmare' show... this one isn't that one either!

I'm starting to think that maybe this was a 'throwback' show from the 60's or something...

Wanna hear one? Tonight I'll upload it to my online storage acct and post back with a link...

Dave

Remley

Postby Remley » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:13 pm

Sounds good, yes, let's hear it!

Monsterwax

Re: Anybody Remember This One?

Postby Monsterwax » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Dave,
You are not crazy. I remember this series and wanted more info on it too. I also encountered it at the end of a tape. I tried to get more info and found an OTR dealer who had it and he claimed the producer, John Norman, went to prison as a sexual preditor. I've heard this rumor about other off beat characters before, so I take it with a grain of salt. I probabably shouldn't even repeat it because it could be completely false, but info on this series is so scarce, I feel compelled to tell what little I've heard, even if some of it is wrong.

The dealer said he had more episodes than the 3 or 5 I had, and said he would dig them out, but never did (despite my nagging). This was ten or so years ago, so I can't remember who it was. I think he said it was produced in the 50s or 60s, and was syndicated. It was a great series in my opinion. With all the recent hype about Michael Jackson, you have to give Norman this: Even if the horrible rumor is true (a BIG "if"), unlike Jackson, Roman Polanski, Bill Clinton, and a host of other celebs who faced criminal prosicution for their deviant sexual exploits, at least Norman paid the debt for his transgressions. That doesn't mean I would invite him to babysit, but hey, he's welcome to record whatever stories he wants and we'll play them at our next OTR party anytime!

I remember one episode about a man who kills his wife, tosses he off her yacht (she was rich, he wasn't) and when she gets caught in the propeller, he loses his balance, falls in and is also killed. They find the bodies and surmise he dove in to save her because he loved her so much. It had the best opening line I ever heard on radio: "She's dead now, you killed her." Doesn't that just say it all?

Here's what I found on OTRsite.com:
"NIGHTMARE"
SYNDICATED - JOHN NORMAN PRODUCTION

======================================================================================================
6784 A3 "DIE TO MUSIC" : 2:50

7354 D5 "JUNGLE SNAKE" : 3:00

7354 D4 "MASTER RACE OF MICE" : 2:30

I'd love to hear these or any others you have on line or otherwise, as I can no longer find my tape with my samples. It was a hoot. They say brevity is the soul of wit. Well, this series had that in spades! Email me if you have any new info too, monsterwax(at sign)aol.com

www.RadioHorrorHosts.com

Monsterwax

Re: Anybody Remember This One?

Postby Monsterwax » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:50 am

Here's one on line (care of OTRcat.com) which I've never heard before. It's about a man who tries to electrocutes his wife by rigging a hot wire to his fridge. 3 minutes of fast past murder...

http://www.otrcat.com/otr6/nightmare_ad ... t.com_.mp3

OTRcat also sells four other episodes (all 3 minutes long each). They are:

Nightmare Ad Animal Army (probably the same one as "Master Race of Mice" from above. A mad dr. creates giant rats.)
Nightmare Ad Boa Constrictor (probably the same as "Jungle Snake" listed above. Killer suffocated by giant boa.)
Nightmare Ad Chopped Up (I don't recall ever hearing this one, so it may be unique)
Nightmare Ad Drown The Wife (probably the one I told about in the earlier post, about the guy on the yacht)
Nightmare Ad Electrocute The Wife (the sample linked above.)

None of the episodes are titled in the recordings, so titles are just guesses. If the ones I believe are in fact duplicates, that means the two new ones ("Die to Music" and "Chopped Up") bring the known surviving recordings up to six different. Let's hope many more exist than just that!

They mistakingly attribute this series to the Nightmare series staring Peter Lorre, thinking they were ads for the longer 30 minute show. But there's no evidence of that. 3 minutes is too long for an ad, there's no mention of Peter Lorre, nor any mention of another series. I believe the two just happen to share the same name. Enjoy this 3 minute nightmare. It's made specifically "for folks who like to dream... violently."

Return to “Main OTR BBS”