domestic AM station rebroadcasting Radio Moscow

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

shortwaveboy86

domestic AM station rebroadcasting Radio Moscow

Postby shortwaveboy86 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm currently an international studies/Russian studies student at American University in Washington, DC. For my latest research paper, I thought I'd combine my hobbies and academic interest by writing about Radio Moscow as a tool of Soviet foreign policy during the Cold War. Now, I distinctly remember reading an article a number of years ago about an AM station in the Southern US that would record Radio Moscow broadcasts (1950s or 1960s?) and then rebroadcast them the next night with American commentary. It seems to me that it was in Popular Communications or something. I really think that this could really help me, so does anyone have any idea where I read that? Or am I crazy? I know it doesn't really fit with the other topics on this board, but I know that my OTR friends know everything about anything that happened in domestic radio! Thanks so much!
Mark

ercjncpr

Re:radio moscow on the AM dial

Postby ercjncpr » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:19 pm

You possibly may be thinking of Ray Briem's overnight talk radio show on KABC , Los Angeles. Ray, now retired, is a ham and SWLer and frequently featured various shortwave stations, clubs and personalities on his show

Hal Evans

Radio Moscow Could Easily Be Tuned In On Short Wave

Postby Hal Evans » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:48 am

While it's interesting that an AM station would rebroadcast Radio Moscow, the "Ruskies" could easily be tuned in on short wave by anyone. As a teenager in South Dakota the 1950s, after school I would listen to Radio Moscow. Their signal came in strongest in the 31 meter band. Although their signal would fade, it came in very loud and clear. They would sign on in the late afternoon with the Internationale, their national anthem, played on bells. That "da-da-da-da-da-da-dum-dum" would play for several minutes. Then they'd come on with news. There was a man and a woman who interchanged news stories. It was the dullest newscast in the entire world. Then they'd have a musical interlude. They had a transitional piece of music between segments. It was the waltz from Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings. It was a thrill to pick up Radio Moscow. I tried to imagine what their broadcast setup was like: the studio, control room and transmitter. They must have a gadzillion amount of watts xmtr output. I can't recall all the other music. It was all classical music. A lot of it was by Tchaikovsky. Music from the Nutracker, 5th and 6th Symphonies and Serenade for Strings again. I guess that "Comrade Tchaikovsky" had some special appeal to the commies. Stranglely so, considering's personal life. He would not have fit in very well with the commie lifestyle. :) And I was going through the classical music phase of my life at the time , which would take me to the non-enviable position later in life of a classical music DJ. :) Regarding Radio Moscow's music recordings, they were able to play what we'd call LP record music. But there was no surface noise. So I have to conclude that it was either on tape or vertical "hill and dale" 33 1/3 transcriptions. Not on conventionally recorded LPs you'd buy from the record store. The guy who read the news was a Vladimir something. He later defected to the United States and was a sort of celebrity for a while. He wrote a book. And is probably a happy capitalist like most of us now. :)

Return to “Main OTR BBS”