Abbott and Cosello Programs from 1942-1943

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

TommyFDS

Abbott and Cosello Programs from 1942-1943

Postby TommyFDS » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi,

I am new to this site, so my question may have been asked previously.

I am looking for recordings of the Abbott and Costello program from the Fall of 1942 through early 1944. I have most of the programs that are already in circulation (through Radio Spirits, ATG Enterprises, etc.), but I understand that there are other recordings which are available, but not in circulation. Does anyone know when and if these programs will ever be available?

Thanks

Lou
Site Admin

Re: Abbott and Cosello Programs from 1942-1943

Postby Lou » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:45 pm

TommyFDS wrote:Hi,

I understand that there are other recordings which are available, but not in circulation. Does anyone know when and if these programs will ever be available?

Tommy -

There are many OTR episodes from various series that have not as yet been released. For the most part, these shows are held by private collectors, and are on older media -- such as ET (electronic transcription) or old analog tapes.

Why are they not yet released? You would have to find, and ask the collectors that question. Each of them might have a different answer for you.

Some possible reasons:

* The "lost" shows are mixed in with many other episodes. They are not cataloged, so finding them would be difficult.
* The collector has made an agreement with the original trademark or copyright holder; or with the estates of the writers or the stars of the shows, not to release the material into the public domain.
* Collectors with known lost episodes are unwilling to make MP3s of them, for sale, because the MP3s would be quickly distributed on USENET, with no credit (or reimbursement) to the original collector.
* It takes significant time and effort to digitize a half-hour analog show, clean up the surface noise or tape hiss, re-equalize, and make a single MP3. Once that MP3 is released outside of the club or organization, it will soon appear on USENET, as if it were ripped by the poster.

TommyFDS

Postby TommyFDS » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:09 am

Hi Lou,

Thank you for the explanation.

Best,

Tommy

Remley

Postby Remley » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:46 pm

Have you tried the archive yet? There are several here, although the dates don't become apparent until you hover over the links or download them...

http://www.archive.org/details/abbottandcostelloOTR

Remley

Vigilante407

Postby Vigilante407 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:08 am

Remley wrote:Have you tried the archive yet? There are several here, although the dates don't become apparent until you hover over the links or download them...

http://www.archive.org/details/abbottandcostelloOTR

Remley

If you click on the FTP list, you'll see the list of the actual filenames ... might speed things up for determining what you need. :)

--Rich

Return to “Main OTR BBS”